A lot of people wonder why they were put on earth. Until they figure out the “why,” life won’t make much sense. Some of the statements we hear from those who don’t know why they are on earth include:
- You’ve got to get all you can right now. You only have one go round in life.
- There’s no guarantee of the future.
- I’m going to do what I want to do and believe what I want to believe. No one is going to tell me what to do.
When you read below, you will see why the 3 reasons above are lies that you have been told and lies that you may have been telling yourself.
So why were you put on earth? Here are just some of the most important reasons:
- First off, God wanted a family. He did not want to be alone. God wants us to first love him and to love others as ourselves. In the Bible, Jesus tell us, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” (Matthew 22: 37-39 NIV)
- God wants us to witness to others. Maybe you know someone who is going through something that you have already been through…perhaps bankruptcy, a medical condition, loss of a job, divorce, or the loss of a family member. There is no better witness for another person than you who has gone through what the other person is going through. Even a trained pastor can’t be as helpful as you can be unless that pastor has been through the same kind of life event as your friend or acquaintance. A witness does not have to be knowledgeable about God’s word. A witness simply gives a personal testimony of what happened to him or her and what could happen to the one who is suffering now.
- God wants us to serve as an intercessor, praying for the needs of others. Do you know that Jesus Christ also prays for all believers? See a 60-second video here: https://youtu.be/embzftSBjac
- God wants us to serve others. Jesus came to earth not to be served but to serve others. Mark 10:45 NIV says: “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- God wants us to spread the gospel, the good news. “Gospel” means “good news.” “…Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.” (1 Peter 3:15 NIV)
What steps can I take?
- Join a good Bible-based church.
- The best way to know God is to know God, and you can learn about God by reading his word, the Bible, which is the living word. You can start by reading one chapter a day in the Book of Proverbs (about 6 minutes) to get wisdom and discernment and by reading one chapter day in the Book of John (about 6 minutes) to learn what Jesus is all about and why Jesus matters.
- Volunteer to help out. You will meet new people and form new friendships.
- Join a small group. Relationships are formed in circles of people, not in rows on aisles. At some point in our life, you will need somebody. God did not make us to go through life alone. When that special situation comes into your life, you will need a small group of people you know and who you can trust to help you. There are 3 stages of life: situations that we have just come out of, situations that we are currently in, or situations that we are heading into that we don’t even know about yet. How many times have you been shocked or surprised about what can happen to you in just one day?
And for the answers to the initial 3 statements at the top of the page, here you go:
- You actually have 2 lives, one on earth and one in eternity. What we do on earth is really a dress rehearsal for our life in eternity. The question is, which eternity are you going to choose: heaven or hell?
- You do have a guaranteed future. As mentioned above in answer #1, which eternity are you going to choose: heaven or hell?
- We are all born selfish and want things OUR way. Babies are a prime example. They cry and scream until they get what they want. Have you noticed how many adults are the same way? And when someone says no one is going to tell them what to do, what they re really saying is that they do not want to be accountable to anyone. To get to heaven, we have to be accountable. While there is nothing we can do earn our way into heaven, in others you cannot be good enough or give away enough money to get to heaven), we must accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior in order to accept his free gift of eternal life in heaven.
How to Get the Same Power in Your Life that Raised Jesus Christ from the Dead
Did you know the SAME POWER that raised Jesus Christ from the dead is the SAME POWER that is available to you on a DAILY basis? Ephesians 1:19 to 21 says “…His power works for us who believe. It is the same mighty strength God showed. He showed this when he raised Christ from the dead…” If God’s spirit can raise a dead Jesus, He can raise a dead marriage, a dead career, a dead dream, a dead END. It’s the POWER to be free from your past habits, hurts, and hangups. Here’s a 60-second explanation: https://youtu.be/8HAh8muBln8